The Association has held annual reunions of 101 Squadron veterans and their guests since the first at RAF Waddington in September 1979. During the early years of the Association many of the reunions were hosted by friendly messes on RAF stations but the introduction of contract catering in the RAF during the 1990’s made this arrangement increasingly difficult.
Since 1999 the Association’s Annual General Meeting and Reunion Dinner has been held in the splendid Lincoln County Assembly Rooms in the historic Bailgate district near Lincoln Cathedral. The reunion weekend is traditionally the first Saturday and Sunday in September with the annual Memorial Service held in the parish church of St Mary and St Peter at Ludford Magna on Sunday afternoon.
The timetable of events for the Annual Reunion Weekend is generaly as follows:
Day 1 – Saturday:
- 10:30 Doors open at the Lincoln Assembly Rooms for a meet and greet over coffee and tea.
- 12:15 Lunch.
- 13:30 The Annual General Meeting of the 101 Squadron Association starts. Conclusion normally around 3pm.
- 18:45 Pre-Dinner drinks in the Assembly Room Bar.
- 19:15 Annual Reunion Dinner.
Day 2 Sunday: Ludford Magna Village. (Public event.)
- 12 Noon Onwards: Informal ‘Get-Together’ in the White Hart in Ludford, next to the Church.
- 14:00 Annual Memorial Service in Church for 101 Squadron.
- 15:00 Wreath laying at the 101 Squadron memorial.
- 15:30 Tea provided by the Ludford WI in the Ludford Village hall.
- 16:30 Flypast by Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster (The timing for this varies due to weather and the Lancaster’s display commitments.)
Over the years their have been many other events attended by members of the Association, including 101 Squadron open days and even flights for the lucky few. Here is a picture of the 101 Sqn Association members who flew in a VC10 at RAF Brize Norton to mark the 90th anniversary of the unit in 2007.